Sunday, July 26, 2009

Salsa Roja!


To be honest with you, I'm not much of a salsa lover. It is okay and I do eat it, but it's just okay to me. My husband, however, has some almost every day. He LOVES it... and the hotter, the better.

So, I went to Tastespotting and found one that looked like the ones he seems to love. Very dark and very smooth. One Particular Kitchen is the name of the blog where I found it. Oh... this girl and her cousin KNOW their salsas. Everyone has loved it who has had it. It started out SUPER hot the first day, but it mellowed nicely the next day. Still really spicy, but I could eat it. The heat is strong and then mellows after a few seconds. You'll love it... I know because it won me over!

I got permission from oneparticularkitchen (sorry, I don't know your name!) to post their recipe and after you get this recipe, run over to her blog and check out some of the other yummy food she has posted!

The Best Salsa Ever:
16 full size tomatoes, or nearly a produce bag full of roma tomatoes (we used roma)
2-3 yellow onions
20-25 Serrano peppers (remove caps) Note: this many peppers makes it hot. Feel free to reduce # of peppers, or scrape the seeds out of them
8-10 cloves of garlic
1-2 Tbsp salt
1-2 bunches cilantro

Half the tomatoes and onions and lay cut-side up on a cookie sheet along with the peppers and garlic.



Roast at 375 till the onions look nice and translucent and tomatoes look soft, and peppers are getting a nice char on them



Let it all cool a bit, then run through the food processor with salt and cilantro (we had to do this in two batches)

Stir it all together and eat with abandon.

If you have any questions about this salsa, be sure to go read the comments because her cousin answers a ton of them (like storing and freezing, etc.) Her pictures are much nicer than mine, so you may want to just go check them out for yourself!
Let me know if you made it and how you liked it!
Tami

2 comments:

The Cooking Photographer said...

That looks like something I'd like! I'm putting this one in my pocket to try later.

Laura

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet! I'm so glad it was a hit! My cousin is brilliant, isn't she? :)




Blog Widget by LinkWithin